Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Fourth Miscarriage Confirmed

Ugh, where to even start. Well, as of my last post, it is possible to get pregnant on the first try of Letrozole with trigger. I was that girl.

I got my first faint positive at about 14 dpo and of course yelled for Stu to see if he could see the line and of course he could! That same day I started spotting. I figured it was the proverbial "implantation spotting" which I had in my first pregnancy.

The next day I got an even darker pregnancy test line, but was still spotting. Monday came and I called to get my first blood draw and the bleeding picked up. At that point I was hanging on to hope by a thin thread. Tuesday's blood draw was 37, lower than what they wanted, but it was what happened in the next draw that mattered.

On Thursday my number almost quadrupled to 135!! Amazing! Still spotting, but it had receded a bit. I then had to go in for one more blood draw on Saturday and then I would be able to schedule my very first ultrasound. My number again surprised me and almost tripled to 398.

This past Monday I scheduled my ultrasound for Wednesday 11/21. Though the whole time my spotting/bleeding continued and I was really trying to hold on to hope that I could make it to my ultrasound. The ultrasound came on Wednesday and I was so nervous. After a wait, Dr. J came in. Immediately we did not see anything in the uterus, and Dr. J then started to look to see if there I was having an ectopic pregnancy. She did not see anything in any tube or by the ovaries. After the shock I was ushered to get more bloodwork. If the numbers were up, I would have to go back for another ultrasound and blood check.

My numbers had gone up to 669. So, at some point after Saturday I was still kicking out hcg. So another ultrasound and hcg test were scheduled for Friday.

I had a really good cry on Wednesday and promised that I would take things in stride. After my first ultrasound, I asked what our options would be for trying again and another pregnancy. Dr. J said if we did not have an ectopic and have to take the methotrexate shot, we could begin trying right away. Don't even have to wait. As for keeping the next pregnancy, she said that even though she is on the fence, she would allow me to try prednisone and/or Lovenox injections.

She warned me of the risks of both. Prednisone is a corticosteroid, which supresses the adrenal glands. It will help prevent my body from attacking the embryo/fetus if in fact I'm having an autoimmune response and my body is seeing my pregnancies as foreign invaders. With prednisone, I would have to start and stop it every cycle- and I can't just stop it, I'd have to be weaned off it each month I don't get pregnant. The risks/side effects are hunger, weight gain, low blood sugar, and obvious involvement with the adrenal glands.

Lovenox is a blood thinner that is injected. The theory for pregnacy use for those who have had multiple early miscarriages or even a second-third term loss of blood clotting is that early I pregnancy  my body might be forming tiny clots where my placenta is trying to go thus restricting blood flow to the embryo/fetus. The Lovenox will stop that. The risks are a bit more severe in that if I were to get in an accident or get hurt, my bleeding might not be stopped.

I accept all risks I trying to keep my next pregnancy. Whereas I can't stop a chromosomally defective pregnancy, since we don't know if my pregnancies have been normal or not since I can't get far enough to test them, it is the best next move for us in trying to keep a normal pregnancy.

I had my ultrasound on Friday and there was still nothing in the uterus. Dr. J looked very carefully at my tubes and ovaries and did not see anything that resembled a gestational sac. She looked even closer at my right ovary and was certain what she saw was just a corpus leuteum cyst from where I ovulated. But she wanted to be sure. I had my repeat blood draw (for anyone counting, that's five blood draws in two weeks, got pricked 3 times on the left arm and twice on the right....ouch).

I am waiting for my blood test results today, Saturday. One victory I achieved was that I finally requested to be tested for the MTHFR gene and will get my results next week. I might finally know if I have a different underlying cause of my early miscarriages.

So still, I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment