Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

IVF Consultation- yeah, I did it...

I had an IVF consultation June 4th with Dr. M the second. It wasn't as informative as I would have liked, but he did say that our best option for having a baby, and having one stick, is IVF with ICSI and PGD. Lots of acronyms, I know!

IVF is in vitro fertilization (test tube baby) and ICSI is intracytoplasmic sperm injection where they take only the best sperm and inject them into the eggs to have them fertilize. PGD is pregenetic diagnosis which involves screening the fertilized eggs for any chromosomal abnormalities before transferring them back into the uterus.

Given my history, IVF will increase my chances of getting pregnant in general. The ICSI will help out with lowish sperm count and takes away any of the duds that would normally be in the mix. The PGD will help with making sure I have the best embryos possible and that if I were to miscarry, it wouldn't be because of the embryo quality.

The kicker will be the cost. How much will it really cost for me to to have a baby? It is the unknown that is the scariest thing. Sure I may get pregnant (up to 60% do) but then of that 60%, only 40% go on to deliver. And with my 0/4 average birthing rate, what happens if I miscarry a $10,000+ baby? I'm not sure how one could come back from that.

So, lots to think about, especially the financial aspect of IVF.

No comments:

Post a Comment